Sew 'N Style

Sew 'N Style

Tuesday, October 20, 2015

Little Finch Patterns: Sugar and Spice Cowl Neck Pattern Test

I'm always a little excited about testing patterns for new designers that are coming into the pattern world.  When I see new designers it makes me feel like maybe one day (after an extensive amount of training) I could venture into the world of pattern design too.  Of course, after I have those thoughts, I get a bit of a reality jolt and go back to grading tests and quizzes.

My most recent pattern test was for Katie Susick of Little Finch Patterns.  When I apply to test a pattern, I look for patterns I know I would want for personal use, or patterns that have new features that I haven't sewn up yet.  I'm all about learning new stuff!  For the Sugar and Spice, my attraction was the cowl neck.  Personally, I'm all about a neckline that doesn't have a binding. Bindings... I love bindings when they look awesome and I hate them when they don't!! Who doesn't really?


So... Onto the pattern.  There have been several updates since my version was sewn up, but here are the final features.

Sugar and Spice Cowl Neck Top
  • Cowl Neck
  • Three Sleeve Length Options: Short, 3/4 (with loose or tapered option), Long
  • Two Hemline Options: Banded or High/Low
  • Sizes: 24month through Size 16 (Wow...That is a great range!)
This was a seriously quick sew! I'm talking under an hour people!  This is saying a ton, because I am a slow, slow, slow sewist!  Since I'm a good girl and follow directions when testing, I inset the sleeves as instructed.  I think I may have been able do put it together even faster without doing that.  Really it's probably a coin toss.  The pieces fit together well and construction was smooth.  The only challenging part may have been cutting the pattern as there are some many sizes I get a bit cross-eyed deciphering size lines.  They are colored, so that helps people like me.

When I asked Peyton to try her top on to test the fit she asked where I bought it.  I thought I must have done a good job since she knows I'm always having her try things I have made to check the fit, but still thought I bought it. Mark this one as another success for the closet.

She always thinks this is a required pose.






4 comments: