Sew 'N Style

Sew 'N Style

Tuesday, September 29, 2015

Sew 'n Style Mini Collection

Here it is! My first blog post is here and I am jumping right into a large project, which happens to be a mini-collection. (I know it doesn't make sense that a mini-collection is a large project, but let's just roll with it.) The challenge was to create a collection of at least 3 pieces with half the creations being made from Lil Luxe Patterns. Check out the challenge here.
For several nights I have been retiring to my sewing cave while the rest of my house is sleeping to put together this fall collection for Peyton.  If you have seen me walking around like an extra from The Walking Dead, now you know why.

The collection started with an idea board, transitioned to sketches, then into a shopping trip (or three) for fabric to go with my ideas before the pieces were finally sewn together.  In the end, I didn't finish all my ideas by the deadline, but I think the pieces I put together are a great start to an "'N Style" fall wardrobe for Miss Peyton.

The idea board started with a pair of corduroy shoes that Peyton HAD to have while doing our back to school shopping.  Of course, once we got home we realized there actually wasn't much in her closet that could even be worn with them.  We ended up with a theme "Textures of Fall."  The idea was to create pieces or outfits that had some feature of texture and/or pieces that would go with these sassy shoes (which also have texture since they are corduroy).  I decided to focus on texture to push myself to try new fabrics instead of sticking with basic quilters cottons and knit cotton/lycra blends that are typical for me.

                                            

 Outfit #1: Starlight City Dress (Lil Luxe Collection)

 This flannel dress didn't get any major modifications.  We went with a 3/4 sleeve to stretch its life span. I love the dress and it is the perfect cozy piece for fall and winter in this plaid.  The back twist detail is fun and sassy. I have never sewn an apparel item with flannel, so check that off the texture list. The boots and scarf completed the look.


Outfit #2: Slim Fit Trousers with Modified City Girl Romper (Lil Luxe Patterns)


The slim fit trouser pants were made with a woven cotton spandex sateen. These came together so well and are a perfect fit on Peyton's slim body.  She loves the zippers, and I love that I sewed them in like a big girl seamstress.  Go Me!  Sateen, I have sewn with it once before.  Let's just say it was before my serger and no amount of pressing was going to save that project. So, new-ish fabric attempt check-mark again! Woot!  I actually have a khaki color of this same fabric to make a second pair of trousers to go with my Peekaboo hoodie.  Neither the pants or the hoodie made the cut for this post as they aren't actually sewn together.

For the top, I modified the bodice portion of the City Girl Romper. I shortened the bodice and added the skirt portion by cutting two rectangles, sewing together, then gathering before attaching.  This top is a great piece. It is simple, yet stylish.  Even though this is made from quilters cotton, it has some fun gold flecks in it that are somewhat raised.  I may be stretching to use that as my "texture" for the top. Changing the bottoms and accessories can really change the look.


 Outfit #3: City Girl Romper as Separates (Lil Luxe Patterns)


I utilized the same City Girl Top and paired it with a pair of shorts created from the bottoms of the City Girl Romper.  These shorts were an up-cycle from a pair of dress pants my husband donated to the project.  Wasn't that nice of him? The downfall is I wont be seeing his cute hiney in them anymore.  I wanted something with texture to go with my theme and these seemed to fit well. I fogot to check the pant tag to see what the fabric content was, oops. I included pockets and front pleats. These shorts are going to look great with a fitted shirt tucked in. I'm hoping I will be able to talk her into wearing them with tights as the weather cools. Sadly, I did not make the sweater pictured. Target saved the day and helped me with layering.


Outfit #4: Slim Fit Trousers and MaCherie Tunic Top (Lil Luxe Patterns and Winter Wear Designs)


For this look I paired the Slim Fit Trousers with the Ma Cherie Tunic Top.  This high-low tunic was just recently released. The V-neck feature and front pleats give the look a clean lines, which pairs perfect with the trousers.  The grey floral fabric was a random find at Tuesday Morning I have been stashing for the perfect top.  I think this was it.  Peyton loves the floral top with the shoes.


Outfit #5: Boheme Sky Dress (Striped Swallow Designs)



This dress was a perfect piece to top off my collection.  The yellow goes great with our special shoes. The knit fabric was purchased from the Persnickety website.  Currently their fabric is "being re-organized" and I'm about to go through knit stashing withdraws.  That knit is seriously my favorite. I almost hate to mention it because you might go buy it all before I know the site is back up.  Link not provided intentionally.


And that is a wrap! Did you make it this far?  I'll be impressed if you just skimmed the pictures, I know I'm guilty of that too! No judgement here.  Don't forget to head back to the InLinkz to vote. You can also check out all the fun projects on Instagram, #sewNstylelilluxeseries.


8 comments:

  1. Wow! I'm so impressed! I read all the way to the end, and I have to say the modified romper and the gray floral top may be my two favorites. E and the girls are so blessed to have such a talented wife and mom! ~Jennifer

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for reading all the way through! I know it was a lot, but I couldn't figure out what could be cut. :)

      Delete
  2. I adore that flannel starlight city dress! The whole collection is wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a gorgeous collection! I just love that plaid dress.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for checking it out! I think the plaid dress is the overall favorite. The trousers are a close second!

      Delete
  4. Wow! Love your whole collection. I think what you did with the City Girl romper is ingenious!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! The Starlight City pattern suggests making a top, so I thought I ought to go ahead and try it with the CG top.

      Delete